Friday, March 21, 2008

Spring is sprung

Took my usual walk this morning, except went somewhat further along
the cliffs this time, much to the discomfort of my feet. A Northern Wheatear
was the first bird I saw and this was indeed the first I have seen this year, a migrant from South Africa, heading north to its breeding grounds. Along the path towards Ballyandreen I found this beautiful little flower which I am fairly sure is Common Dog Violet, but not being an expert on wild flowers, I am open to correction. I have intended for some time to do a series of paintings of the wild flowers of Ireland, and to this end started a painting last week, using coloured pencil, of Lesser Celandine. I will post an image here when I've finished it, in the vain hope that somebody might actually read my blog and comment on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment