Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Bird sketches.


Thought I'd show another side to my art today. I started drawing and painting about 120 years ago, or so it seems, initially as a means of recording some of the birds I saw in my other obsession, birding, and twitching, which is not the same. Above is a bird called a Sharp Tailed Sandpiper, which is an asian wader that winters as far away as Australia, unfortunately it got lost when deciding to migrate and ended up on the beach in my village Ballycotton , in Ireland. This was only the 3rd record of this bird in Ireland. The bird below this is a Common Kingfisher, nothing terribly exciting about that, albeit a stunning little bird, except that I sketched it in Goa in India. In Ireland this bird is extremely

shy and hard to see, in fact I think I have only managed to sketch it twice in Ireland, but in India, apart from being very numerous, it is also very tame and confiding and allowed me plenty of time to draw, all the time diving for fish and coming back to the same perch.
The other two sketches were also done in India and are of a Black Capped Kingfisher and an Intermediate Egret.
Can anyone out there tell me how to move pictures easily on blogger as I always have enormous trouble getting them where I want them.



11 comments:

  1. Birds are so difficult to draw well and you have really succeeded. Our local wetlands(Australian east coast) has a sandpiper that comes in from Russia - maybe the same one? Will try to attach my birds blog - you might enjoy? http://cobblesbackyardbirds.blogspot.com/
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your birds are fun and lovely. Birds are so artsy, aren't they? Like the mediums you use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are awesome! I hope you'll keep sharing your posts. I love birds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful birds!! I really like the sketchy graphite one together with the full color version side by side- nice to see the 'bones' of a drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to watch the birds, but I'd have to sketch them from memory as they move so quick! If you find out how to move the pictures around let me know, I still can't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes! You're speaking straight to my heart with these bird drawings. I'm also an avid birder and lister (what you call twitching). Yesterday we found a rare vagrant warbler, a Yellow-throated, here in So. Nevada...this would be rare if it was spring but to have it here in winter is doubly exciting. The bird appeared just as though it was spring and was all decked out in fine spring plumage.
    I can't draw a dencent bird to save my life. Oh, and I'm also Irish, ancestors from Cavan and County Mayo in the west of Ireland

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you decided to share you work with us! These are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nicely done! Birds are so interesting and beautiful! nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. your birds are beautiful! Birds are one of my favorite things to draw, especially the graceful ones like egrets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful bird sketches! =) They are all so lively and vibrant as they are in real life ^^

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful colors! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete