Monday, January 17, 2011

A Charm of Goldfinch

IMG_4205-1

A Charm of Goldfinch: Acrylic on canvas 24”x30”

I have loads of these beauties on my feeders at the moment , but I actually sketched these, a couple of years ago, feeding on thistle outside my studio, and turned it into a painting. I have never been that satisfied with the background, and given that it has been in a couple of exhibitions and not sold, I think I will attack it again. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I think the background is to close to the value of the birds and flowers in the foreground, maybe I should do away with the foliage and just set them against the blue sky! What do you think?

I think its good sometimes to put paintings away and come back to them fresh, its amazing how different they can look, and quite often your opinion changes, sometimes for the better , sometimes for the worse.